Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Back to the Basics in 2013 - at Least for Us

With the recent release of the 2013 Pantone color, I started thinking about a blog posting I read a few months ago. 

I was just testing the waters of the whole wedding planning process and was pretty much reading everything I could call up in Google search.   It was during one of these random searches that I found a blog that touched upon a few trends the blogger or possibly even the wedding industry expected to see thrive in 2013.

One of the trends was shifting the focus back onto the guests, where (according to the blogger) that is exactly where it should be.  When I read it, I kind of blew off this tidbit of information -- and that is why I am unable to provide the link to the content.

Fast-forward a few months and several blogs and books read later, I totally disagree with that blogger and I feel that couples want something that is true to them, reflects their personality and is a bit more low-key.

When planning a wedding, I think it is important to take into consideration other people's feelings or sacrifices (such as travel or having to hike three miles to the ceremony site). It's important to honor guests, family traditions and the values of the immediate family while orchestrating the wedding you want.  

Call me selfish or "one of those brides", but I don't think etiquette extends to shifting the focus of a person's wedding day to the people attending. This is a shared moment between a loving couple who wants to share it with their closest friends and families. Its about two people starting the best chapter of their lives. 

I think there are many people in 2013 are looking for a way to minimize the stylized weddings and shift the focus back to the three keys: the partner, the outfit and the preacher.  I think the couples of 2013, or at least one, are looking for simplistic ideas that focus on them and not the details.  I think people want something a bit less coordinated and a little bit more laid back. 
Perhaps it is where I am in life.  I have seen four of my friends marry in the past year, and we are all in our 30s and looking for a simplistic way to say "I Do."  They have their own lives, many residing in different states from their families (I'm not even in the same country), which kind of diminishes the need to have an epic bash where we feel the need to invite co-workers or neighbors of our parents.  

And, to be quite frank, it has been a while since I have done the all night dancing blow outs. We have a different lifestyle and would prefer just hanging out around the fireside.

Contrary to what the wedding industry has told you, your wedding will not be your guests' first rodeo.  They know how to roll with the punches and expect nothing more than to spend the day with you.  

Perhaps I'm just dreaming about people's reactions to my wedding -- but I don't think we have to over-spend to make our wedding look good -- our emotions and the connections we have with our guests will make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment