Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My Dress Is In The Mail!

This morning, I woke to find an email in my inbox that alerted me to the fact that my dress was en route to our Canada home. I was filled with a sense of excitement for I was going to see my wedding dress for the first time.

I started my wedding dress shopping the way most people shop for any large investment - by scouring the Internet.  I was quickly overwhelmed by all the decision that go into a simple dress. My lack of fashion knowledge was revealed when I had to learn the difference between A-Line and mermaid.  I was a fish out of water when I had to navigate the choices between satin, tulle and organza fabrics.

But what really had me stuck was the white thing.  For one, white is one of the colors that I can't make look good.   I live in Canada and I don't go outside without a heavy lather of sunscreen. Both of which greatly impacts my pale skin tone.

For two, I'm not fond of the color.  I lean towards bold colors, vintage prints or the ever popular black.  White is an accent color in my wardrobe and I just don't see myself getting married in that color.

A friend of mine told me a story about talking to a dress maker in Italy.  She went into the store to question her about the color of a gorgeous maroon-ish dress that was in the window.  The store owner told my friend that was a work in progress for a customer's wedding.

"It is my belief that a wedding dress should be whatever color the bride wants to be married in. It's her and the day that makes it a wedding gown. Not the color of it. Wear what you want. It's still going to be your wedding dress and you'll be more comfortable in it," the store owner explained.

Sarah Jessica Parker wore black when she married Matthew Broderick in 1997.  Elizabeth Taylor wore yellow the first time she married Richard Burton in 1964 and green when they re-married in 1975. 


Most of my searches for wedding dresses with color turned up "blush" (soft pink) or white gowns with highlights of color.  While pretty, these were just a bit too . . . subtle.  I wanted color.  Bold colors like this Pinterest board by Off Beat Bride.

I adjusted my search criteria, taking out "wedding" and I put in "rockabilly" and "swing" -- and that's how I found my dress.

The Soda Pop Dress Shoppe is an Etsy.com shop that specializes in handmade 1950s rockabilly swing dresses made to your specifications (fabric choice, addition of details, side slit pockets, invisible zippers).The owner, Kristen Strakusek, makes the dresses from her home in Illinois.  With a love for 50s fashion, Strakusek started making her own dresses after growing tired of seeing other girls wearing the same thing. In short, she was a girl after my own heart!

A short time on her site was all it took for me to find the dress I wanted.  The Soda Pop Dress with contrasting fabric bow was perfect! 

I wasted little time contacting Kristen and asking if she would in fact be available to make my wedding dress. I stressed that I don't want it to be in white but rather a fun pattern with green, yellow, white and brown in it.

Kristen emailed me a variety of pattern fabrics in the colors I requested and I picked one that I thought looked fun.  With Mike's assistance, I emailed Kristen my measurements and fabric choice. She sent me information on the type of petticoat to purchase to give the gown extra flair (yeah, had to research this also) -- which I did promptly.

Then, I began the waiting period.


During this entire process, I never stepped foot into a dress shop. I didn't even try on one bridal gown while searching for a dress.  While I missed out on the excitement this process can offer a bride or the bonding she may have the friends who accompany her, I think this was for the best.

I get highly discouraged easily for clothes fit me awkwardly. I have a short torso, wide hips and shoulders and freakishly long arms and legs.  Clothing shopping, of any kind, only helps to highlight those issues to me.  More than likely, I would have purchased the first one that "came close" or was "good enough" because I would be done with the experience before I found the right one.

By choosing to have a dress custom made for me, I don't have to worry that the shoulders won't be broad enough or the bust big enough.  The dress, in bold color, will be tailored to my awkward body before I even tried it on.  Win-win.

With this morning's email, my wait is nearing an end and I will finally get to try on a wedding dress -- mine own personal, customized gown! 

I can't wait!

***Update: I wrote this blog about four hours too soon! I got the dress in the mail today and all I can say is WOW! I am super-excited to wear this on my big day and can not wait to wear it!  





1 comment: