Monday, April 29, 2013

Our Vows

"What was your favorite moment?" asked one of Mike's cousins the day after our wedding. Without hesitation, Mike responded enthusiastically with two words - "The vows."

So, per a request from several other family members, below is the text from our ceremony (all five minutes of it!):

LISA:
Friends, we are gathered here this morning to celebrate and witness the joining of Michael Lee Sachtjen and Alisha Lynn Manlove in marriage, and to be with them in the making of this important new step in their lives together.


While I am standing here, honored to lead this joyous occasion, it is not me, or a public official or member of the clergy who marries you. Only you can marry each other by your mutual commitment of love to each other, your consideration and respect for each other, and by your willingness to face the joys and challenges of life together as husband and wife.

The essence of this commitment is the joining with another person in his or her entirety as lover, companion, and friend. Marriage symbolizes this intimate yet public sharing of two lives.

We are here today, then, to celebrate the love that Mike and Weegee have for each other, and to give social and legal recognition to their decision to accept each other totally and permanently. Into this state of marriage these two individuals come now to be united.

Weegee has requested a moment to address her mother and the mother of the groom.



<<At this point, Weegee separated her "breakaway brooch bouquet" and said a few improv but heartfelt comments to both her mother (Judith) and Mike's mom (Cecelia).  Then she went back to standing next to Mike.>>

Mike, could you please take Weegee's hand and tell her your thoughts on this day?

MIKE:
Alisha, Weegee, Manlove, my Panda,

We have gone from bench mates, to drinking buddies, to best friends, to partners. Each step has not replaced the last, but has added richness to our lives. We have had many wonderful adventures together, learned to trust one another, became each others greatest supporters, and fell in love each other.

You brighten my day when you share yours.

You encourage me when I'm held back by self doubt.

You make it OK for me to be me when I worry what others may think.

Today, we add to the list of titles that of husband and wife, but it does not replace the other titles.  You are still my greatest adventure buddy, my best friend and my partner through life.

Nor is the final title we will bestow upon each other.  I look forward to the day that we become business partner, igloo inhabitants, season ticket holders, nursing home roommates, or whatever title goes with whatever adventure we haven't even thought up yet.

I promise to encourage you because I have seen you do great things.

I promise to support you because together we're capable of so much more.

I promise to listen to you and talk to you because through communication comes understanding, and through understanding intimacy.

I promise to trust you because you've never let me down and I know your heart is always in the right place.

Above all, I promise to love you.

I love you.  I want to marry you.

LISA:
Weegee, please hold Mike's hands and tell him your thoughts today.

WEEGEE:
Michael Lee Sachtjen -- My Dragon

As you stated, we have traveled from benchmates to beer buddies to best friends and finally to partners. 

Today, happily, we once again update our relationship status. This time to husband and wife.  All these transitions were made possible because you love me just the way I am.  With you, I can just be me. 

With that, I promise to always be real with you, up front and honest. Even if it would be easier to fake it.

I promise to live in the moment and not rely on past reactions. To share my thoughts, feelings and insecurities with you and listen with an open heart and mind when you do the same.

I promise to laugh at your jokes or when you growl like a bear.  Not because it's the nice thing to do as your wife, but because I will always think that you’re the funniest boy I know.

I promise to be your co-pilot for all future adventures and inspire you to reach out beyond your comfort zone - whether it is your culinary ambitions or our shared bed and breakfast vision.

I promise to always sit hip to hip with you in the pubs. Not because you have a better view of the Canucks game.  But because I want you to know that I’m thrilled to have you there with me. Always, Bear.

I promise to work every day to be the woman you deserve. To hold your hand when things are easy peasy lemony squeezy and when they're difficult, difficult lemony difficult.

And finally, you are my dragon. You have made me feel treasured, cherished, protect and loved. I promise to always make you feel the same.

I love you. I want to marry you.

LISA:
The wedding ring is the most instantly recognizable symbol of marriage -- the circle of the band symbolizing eternity. Both Mike and Weegee have been wearing their rings around their necks in anticipation of this day when they will place the rings forever on each other's fingers.

<<During the above, Mike and Weegee took the rings off the necklaces that they had been wearing for eight months.>>

Mike, please present the ring you have for Weegee.

Will you  Michael, promise that from this day onward  Weegee will be your wife? Will you promise to laugh with her when times are good and endure with her when they are hard? Will you pledge to her your respect and your love?

MIKE:
I will.    <<He places the ring on Weegee's finger.>>

LISA: 
Weegee, please present the ring you have for Mike.

Will you  Alisha, promise that from this day onward  Mike will be your husband? Will you promise to laugh with him when times are good and endure with her when they are hard? Will you pledge to him your respect and your love?

WEEGEE:
I do . . . I will . . . I do . . . <<Weegee was confused as to what was asked of her thanks to a conversation the night before with Becky Gerlach and Kristie Veith.  They mentioned the scene from "Princess Bride" about whether the love interest said "I do" or not and that it doesn't count if you don't say "I do." >>

LISA:
I think you are covered.

<<Weegee places the ring on Mike's finger.>>

LISA:
May these two people, now married, fulfill this commitment to each other. May they openly give and take from each other, encouraging each other's successes, sharing in each other's joys, and helping each  other in times of trouble. 

We who are present, and those who are absent thinking of these two people, hope that the inspiration of this moment will never be forgotten. And we pledge to support this couple as they forge their new lives together.

It is now my great pleasure to present to you Mr. and Mrs. Sachtjen.

<<Bride and Groom kiss and strut through the chapel to exit out the front doors.>>

"The bride and groom are going to take a few moments to themselves before doing a short photo shoot with their photographer. Please feel free to get a fill up on your beverages, walk the grounds or sign the guest canvases. Breakfast is on at 10 a.m."

No comments:

Post a Comment